Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Welcome!


 
Greetings from Lodi--a.k.a. "the Peaceful Valley"--a small town about 30 minutes north of Madison, WI. 

My husband and I are the parents of two small children (a 5 year old son and a 9 month old daughter).  Due to various factors which I will write about in a future post, we have become increasingly concerned about the multitude of environmental and physical toxins our family is exposed to regularly -- be it from local agricultural pesticide use which releases chemicals into the air, leaches pesticides into our water supply and leaves toxic residue on produce; chemicals in bath and beauty products used on our bodies; hard-to-pronounce, synthetic ingredients in foods we consume; and the questions and concerns we face when making common parental decisions such as whether to vaccinate our children including how often, etc.  I can't imagine that life has ever been "easy", but the assault on our bodies via modern living seems to be affecting our health as a society physically, mentally and emotionally.

Through this blog I hope to share some of the products we use and businesses we frequent as a result of the knowledge I have accumulated the last few years (please see links above for more information).  Those times were frought with health concerns on my part and a great deal of my emotional and physical healing has resulted from purifying my life in many ways, i.e., through vitamins and supplements, eating as "cleanly" as possible, utilizing non-western medical practices such as a acupuncture, and beginning a daily practice of meditation.

As further support to my family's goal of finding ways to live "greener" in all facets of our lives, I applied for, and was accepted as a "Mom Ambassador" through Kiwi Magazine's "Mom's Meet" program. As an Ambassador I will organize get-togethers where other Moms (Dads and single folks--including those without children--are welcome, too!) with similar interests or those wishing to learn more about living "greener" can meet up and discuss various topics and sample FREE, full-size products from companies that manufacture natural goods! There is no cost to any of us to participate in the product sampling.

Put simply, I have been looking for a way to connect with other folks in the Lodi/greater Madison area who share similar concerns.

I plan to invite individuals to meet with us and share information that the group is interested in. I've already tapped my husband--a landscape architect--to speak about eco-friendly gardening/landscaping practices such as using rain barrels.

We had our first meeting recently and it was a resounding success! We met at Wollersheim Winery, enjoyed great company, educational conversation and some fabulous wine!

I will be posting details about upcoming meetings via this blog. If you are interested in attending a meeting, but have questions, please email me at:(lodivalleygreenfolks@gmail.com).  Children will be welcome at most, if not all, of our get-togethers.

About Moms Meet: The mission of Moms Meet is to create a space for moms to talk parenting and eco-conscious living, Moms Meet offers exciting opportunities for Mom Ambassadors and their groups to sample the latest healthy, green products. Past sampling opportunities have included EO all-natural hand sanitizer, Wallaby Organic yogurt, and Amy's Organic Pizzas.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I love the concept of this group. I wanted to share a product I just discovered at my local health food store, Polsons, in Antioch, IL. The line is called Acure for skin, body, and hair. The founder came up with the name in honor of her grandmother who had breast cancer for over 10 years. The products are completely "clean," reasonably priced, and the company partners with brightPink, Trees for the Future, and water.org. A portion of proceeds goes to these various organizations. So far I have tried one product so far, Radical Resurfacng Treatment, which is supposed to even out blotchiness, etc. and improve texture and tone. I swear I noticed a difference after one application! Plus it smells good too, imbued with pure essential oils. http://www.acureorganics.com/Default.asp

    ReplyDelete